We're an Australian online organic grocery store, independent supplier of sustainable spray-free wholefoods and ethical household items, and a passionate supporter of local artisan producers. We always try to source organic or the best-quality alternatives.
// How Rider Works
- Browse and buy items in the Shop. We stock new products regularly, so keep checking for updates.
- We pack orders on Thursdays (noon order deadline)
- We delivery locally (and ship Aus-wide) on Fridays
- In the Byron Hinterland / Northern Rivers NSW region we offer a home delivery service on Fridays for just $9 anywhere in the Local Delivery Zone, and new local customers get their first delivery free (use code FIRSTFREE).
- Free pickup from Rider's Rosebank HQ from 3pm Thursday onwards
// Local Delivery Zone
We deliver from Ballina up to South Golden Beach, from Lismore across to Main Arm, and everything in between. If you're outside the delivery zone we can sometimes arrange a drop location at a time that suits, just message us!
- - - -
// The Story
The first incarnation of Rider was birthed by Anna and Matt in 2007, as a small Mexican restaurant upstairs at the iconic Hopetoun Hotel music venue in Sydney, inspired by:
- an irresistible offer of cheap pub rent;
- no half-decent tacos in town at the time; and
- an opportunity to feed our arts community mates something affordable and delicious.
Many of these friends, including Matt, were in bands...so Rider seemed an appropriate name.
The pub suddenly closed its doors in 2009, so Rider moved to Anna & Matt's Redfern warehouse loft space where they hosted events, private dinners, fundraisers, launches, performances, exhibitions, markets, parties, weddings, even a pole dancing contest. With Sydney being squeezed by rising rents and venue closures, Rider became a unique underground community space with a punk-like drive to do things differently.
Cut to 2014, and frustrated by the price of organics, we started making bigger orders from our suppliers so our friends and family could afford bulk wholefoods that were both made ethically and not sprayed with crap. Before we knew it, a small distribution service was born, then a couple of kids, then a treechange to a small farm in the Byron hinterland...
- - - -
// Recycling, Sustainability & Safety
Wondering why your package sometimes looks a little scruffy? We try to avoid using new packaging where possible. We use recycled boxes, and often use sterilised reused glass or plastic containers. Since Covid, we've been using new paper bags only instead of reused ones. We ask that locals please return glass and plastic jars/bottles when receiving future orders so that we can continue to minimise landfill and keep our prices low.
We take your safety and health seriously. Rider is registered as a COVID Safe Business, have completed a COVID Safe™ Professional course for Food Retail. You can be assured that your order is prepared and delivered safely for you and your family.
Questions? Suggestions? Leads for quality local suppliers? Get in touch - we'd love to hear from you!